Sunday, May 15, 2011

2 Years Removed from Dead Man Walking

May 15 (2009) will forever be the day I confronted an ugly truth, and decided to take My life back. First off I have to say that I am grateful every moment of every day for having the most wonderful, supportive, and caring partner: Amy.


On May 15, 2009 I went to the Doctor and he delivered news to Me that I already knew: I had dangerously high cholesterol, high blood sugar, and I was type II diabetic. I weighed 299 lbs, orange shirt below.


My 47th birthday was 24 weeks away, and I set out to weigh 190 lbs by that time. No short-cuts, no games, no tricks. Proper eating and exercise within the limits of reality. Mission accomplished, and no longer any health issues.


BeyondTransition.com recently wrote a 2 part blog on My Story. It was very cathartic, and humbling. http://www.beyondtransition.com/blog/2011/04/triathlon-meets-juice-lee/

I have to make conscious decisions every day, just like you. When it comes to doing what I do: swim/bike/run/nutritien it is not about the weight. It is about the lifestyle I have chosen to live. I swim, I bike, I run, I eat healthy, and I love it. The people I interact with on a daily basis, whether it is face to face, or via the internet, bring Me great joy. I love reading about people who have overcome obstacles to take control of their lives. Whether the goal is a 5k or an Iron Man, the Journey is the same.....from within. So if that is you, I applaud you....if it is someone you know, applaud them, and most importantly, share your Journey.....seek strangers to applaud, and THAT is true living.

So far this year I have run 2 half marathons, participated in My first Olympic distance Triathlon (3rd in AG), and I am 7 days away from My first HIM: Auburn World's Toughest Half Iron Man. I have 2 more Oly's, a Gran Fondo, and My first full marathon on this year's calender.

A the end of the day, I am at peace with it all. Eternally grateful for what I have, those I come in contact on a daily basis, and most of all proud to have a son named Garrett. Garrett just completed his freshman year at George Washington Univ/DC School of Engineering Applied Sciences. The world is his oyster, and he is My greatest joy.


Happy Sunday....and please remember....never too high, never too low....it is about the Journey.

Cheers,

Lee

2 comments:

  1. Great post and amazing accomplishments this year! Thanks for commenting on my race report!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! Great story, and very similar to my own. It is about the journey!

    ReplyDelete